Harriet’s business has gone from strength to strength even during Covid 19
Find out how we helped Harriet take the first step in being her own boss and how her photography business is surviving Covid 19.
What was your experience of the course?
The course was intensive but fun, well-led with assignments and tasks clearly laid out. By the end of the course, I had a Business plan that I could put to use straight away that contained more difficult subjects like financial planning, quality assurance, terms and conditions, things that I might put to the bottom of my to-do list has I not been accountable to complete them.
What were the 3 things you took from the course?
To be more organised and use it to my advantage, start a task, finish it, cross it off and move on to the next thing. Inspiration, there was such a diversity of businesses in the room all coming from Mums, with already busy lives. The most important thing for me was the confidence to take what I had learned and put it to work straight away.
What are your 5 top tips for new business owners?
1. Be organised, set clear objectives for your day and week.
2. Enjoy what you do! Starting a new business is hard, if your clients see your passion they will be right behind you supporting you.
3. Make sure you have a good work life balance. Yes of course sometimes I have to work long hours to meet a deadline but this should be the exception not the rule.
4. Network! Why do it on your own, find a good group of like minded professionals and network. It does not matter if they are not in the same industry you will often be facing the same challenges or even better have a solution for your current challenge. Being a sole trader can be lonely, no chats by the coffee machine, so get out there and make your own work buddies.
5. Be accountable to yourself, your client and your business!!! You are your business, if you let your clients down or miss deadlines there is only one person to blame. Make good decisions, be professional and always be accountable.
How have you pivoted your business in COVID?
COVID, what a challenge! During full lockdown, I used the time to work on my website and to network on Zoom so that as the restrictions were lifted my clients knew I was there ready and waiting to work. I am a versatile photographer shooting weddings, newborns, families and creative corporates, which included headshots, products and social media photography. This versatility has kept me busy, If I had relied on one arm of my business, life would have been more difficult. I continue to post on social media, Facebook and Instagram so my clients know that I am open for business. I have tried to remain positive throughout, I have my down days, of course, we all do but family, friends and my networks have all helped in the difficult times.
What is the best piece of business advice you have ever received?
Keep learning!! Go to training courses, workshops for your industry, the world around us is constantly changing so keeping your skills up to date and learning new ones is vital.
For more information on Harriet’s photographer business visit her website.
If you dream of being your own boss, our business training can turn your ideas into reality, click here to find out more!